Warm Manure



Un-American Investigators
The committee's fat,
Smug, almost secure
Co-religionists
Shiver with delight
In warm manure
As those investigated-
Too brave to name a name-
Have pseudonyms revealed
In Gentile game
  Of who,
  Born Jew,
  Is who?
Is not your name lipshitz?
  Yes.
Did you not change it
For subversive purposes?
  No.
For nefarious gain?
  Not so.
Are you sure?
The committee shivers
With delight in
Its warm manure.
~Langston Hughes, The Panther and the Lash

- - - - - - - - -

" 'Your honery'," Simple elsewhere had threatened to testify, if called long as I have been black, I been an American.  Also I was a democrat-but I didn't know Roosevelt was going to die.'  Then I would ask them, 'How come you don't have any Negroes on your Un-American Committee?'  And old Chairman Georgia would say, 'Because that is un-American'."
~Langston Hughes, (Jesse B Simple), Arnold Rampersad, The Life Of Langston Hughes Vol. II,  p217

No comments: